Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Wake, A Watersong Novel, Amanda Hocking



Gorgeous. Fearless. Dangerous. They're the kind of girls you envy; the kind of girls you want to hate. Stranger in town for the summer, Penn, Lexi and Thea have caught everyone's attention-- but it's Gemma who's attracted theirs. She's the one they've chosen to be part of their group.

Gemma seems to have it all-- she's carefree, pretty, and falling in love with Alex, the boy next door. He's always been just a friend, but this summer they've taken their relationship to the next level, and now there's no going back. Then one night, Gemma's ordinary life changes forever. She's taking a late night swim under the stars when she finds Penn, Lexi and Thea partying on the cove. They invite her to join them, and the next morning she wakes up on the beach felling froggy and sick, knowing something is different.

Suddenly, Gemma is stronger, faster and more beautiful than ever. But her new powers come with a terrifying price. And as she uncovers the truth, she's forced to choose between staying with those she loves-- or entering a new world brimming with dark hungers and unimaginable secrets.

...

First of all, I'm a HUGE fan of Amanda Hocking with capital letters. I've bought all of her books (including the numerous editions of the Trylle Trilogy), and loved every single one of them. I had high expectations for Wake, but it just didn't impress me as much as the other books. But, I still loved it, never the less!

The book isn't written in the first person, but we read the story in both Gemma's and Harper's point of view, which means double romance! 

What was great about this book is that the plot isn't the same old Vampire/ Werewolf/ Fallen Angel based story. I mean, everyone loves those kinds of books, but we need a tad bit of change now and then. Don't you think? This book is about Sirens, not mermaids, Sirens. Amanda Hocking has put some Greek mythology in it. And I loved it! There were several plot twists in the book, which I really enjoyed.

There are two love interests going on here: Gemma and Alex ( I cute couple, I'd say) and Harper and Daniel ( another cute couple). Alex is the shy boy who is funny and cute. He is 'supposed' to be Harper's best friend, but they have fallen appart over the years. Daniel is a boy who lives in a boat, and has made his frist impression on Harper very strong. The first time Harper saw Daniel, he was going to take a wee wee, and she accidentally saw his *cough* man parts *cough*, if you know what I mean. Both boys are likable, cute and funny, but I wouldn't write them down on the 'Heartthrob' category.The romance in this book is cute, nothing dark or heavy, which I think is a perfect summer read. 

A real bummer was that I couldn't connect with the characters much. What does that mean? Well, it means no butterfies in the stomach, and no I-want-to-punch-the-pillow-because-I-hate-that-character feelings. Most of Amanda Hocking's books were easy to connect with all characters, but obviously, it wasn't that great in Wake. Also, the character development was a real problem here. It seemed unlikely that Gemma was such a down-to-earth girl when she is, supposedly, the prettiest girl in the beach town. Harper, her older sister, took the mothering role. Uh, problem there. Harper is only two years older than Gemma. If Harper were to take the mothering role, she should;ve been a bit older than that. But, I understand she loves her sister and wants to take care of her.

Overall, I think Wake is a great book with an awesome plot which you'll enjoy reading now that it's summer time. Even though there were a few flaws (I remember one editing error where two words where written together, nothing big). I really enjoyed reading it-- it was entertaining, different. I'm totally looking forward for the next book in the Watersong series!

No comments:

Post a Comment